Monday, March 1, 2010

Gabriel's Everyday Smoothie

Okay, okay. Everybody's putting dinner stuff, but I love a good smoothie... I drink one every single morning. Faeth and Scott can testify to that... Here's the one that I've been making lately: Measurements are to your taste...

8 or So -- Frozen Strawberries
1/2 cup Frozen Blueberries
1 Whole Ripe Banana
1/2 a Cucumber, peeled and seeded
2/3 cup Kefir (...lately I've been using Pomegranate flavored)
About 1 1/2 Cups Carrot Juice

If you want to use this as a meal replacement, add a good protein powder, I like the vanilla soy protein powder from Whole Foods.

I like my smoothie to be on the thick side, so I go easy on the carrot juice, until I have the consistency I want. The thing I like about this recipe is that you get tons of good vitamins, great potassium, and active live protein packed cultures from the Kefir. The cucumber is awesome for your skin and helps to play down the sweetness (I don't like my smoothies to be too sweet) I will usually have this smoothie with a toasted english muffin and an egg (boiled, fried, scrambled) -- it's a great breakfast to get your morning off to a good start! I know that Frozen Strawberries and Blueberries can be about $5 a bag, but one bag each lasts me a whole weeks worth of Smoothies... I'll pay that much for 1 Smoothie from Jamba Juice! Another good trick is to let your bananas get really ripe, then cut them up and freeze them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment